Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hi, I'm Will and I'm...

Greetings Limeys.

I'm at the camp. All those who bet on me not making it, you lose. It's pretty cool. The grounds are the same size as Felsted's (since there are as many campers as pupils) but there's also a load of woodland, which is my private domain.

Brief interlude about the journey: The plane didn't take off until 17.45, so we spent at least an hour and a half sitting on the tarmac. I say 'we' because the whole of the English Camp America contingent for my camp was on that flight. There are around 120 counselors, split pretty evenly between the US, Canada and Britain. There are at last 30 Toronto natives, mostly from the University of Western Ontario (just for Podgy), and at least 20 from "Essex, in England. It's to the north-east of London."

I was recruited at the fair to run the overnight camping, but when I arrived I discovered I'm on "pioneering and overnights" which seems to mean I do orienteering and similar cool stuff as well. There was then a call at one of the first meetings for a guy to work on the climbing tower, because they had enough people (3) but they were all girls. Being well trained I didn't volunteer immediately, but went up to the instructor afterwards since no-one else did either. I'd just said "I'll do it" when the Associate Director (Ross, the Director's son, who runs all the day-to-day stuff) turned up looking for "the pioneering guy, he can do it". Proof that everyone is out to get me. Due to legal requirements I have to put the harnesses on all the boys. The awesome zip-line from the top of the tower should make up for that though!

At a meeting today the Director was checking what everyone thought they'd signed up for. When no-one came up for assisting with carpentry I said I'd do that too, if it didn't clash, and Fred (the Director) looked at me like I was nuts (the term of choice here). That should be ok, because I know the 'wood-shop' has air-con. So I'm pretty sorted. I've also met the group-leader who runs the canoe trips and volunteered myself for that, should I get any time off!

I went pink yesterday, having been out putting up nets along the edges of the baseball fields and hauling up the rigging poles for the outdoor trapeze which is impressively massive. My awesome proto-tan comes complete with an impressive watch-strap mark and a huge white ring where my sweatband was on the other wrist. D'oh! This morning my arms and legs are already darkening to brown and my neck might be too. My face is still rather rosy, but don't worry Mother, I have put on suncream today!

Yesterday evening was spent playing some team 'sports' such as passing a baseball from neck to neck, running to a baseball bat, spinning around with your head on it five times and running back. I was the only person in my group who ran back the right way, which was apparently impressive despite being a total fluke. Afterwards I joined the crowd in the 'canteen' (the common room) to watch the Detroit Pistons lose the East Coast/West Coast winners play-offs and then warmed up my table football skills. I won one game playing with one hand behind my back against two people, but they were girls. Mwahaha!

I'm off to lunch, which is bizarrely early at 12.30 (other meals are at Felsted boarding times), so I shall bring my camera and upload some pictures asap.

Drink bright pink lemonade.

Whisky India One One, out.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

HAHAHA WOOD shop. How cool. haha. That reminds me of an awesome episode of Beavis & Butthead.

ALso, surely it'd be Whiskey India Lima Lima, out? Maybe I suck, I dunno.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

lo will glad u got there... think u may be signing up for too much hmmm! need to leave gaps for relaxing.. sleeping... going to the loo :p

x

2:28 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Rob m8: You are correct. (We got Deathstar...)

However, normally call signs go letter number number, as in Bravo Two Zero, so I could choose either One or Seven.

Will: No doubt my parents would be entertained by such stories, please continue...

Vince: The camp-outs might get me out of doing all or some evening duties, so it won't be that bad...

8:57 AM  
Blogger Vicky said...

vince?????? penis!!!

tis your beautiful, super intelligent, ENGLISH, sister!!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Will said...

LOL.

Ahem. Yes. Whatever.

[Evil laughter]

11:50 AM  
Blogger Will said...

One freshly squeezed blog, coming right up.

5:58 PM  
Blogger prillopie said...

:O WHERE R T3H BLOOOGGG?!?!?! I saw you going offline! But, no blog?! NOOOOOOOOO!!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Things to do, people to see, 17 bags the size of me to unpack. I'd only just managed to get the pictures up.

9:57 AM  
Blogger prillopie said...

Hehehe.. Awwww, Villy (})(})(})

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home